Training at home doesn’t mean your players can’t work on position-specific skills! In this drill requiring only a small amount of space, your players can work on covering an opponent, reacting to their change of direction, intercepting the ball and driving it out of defence!
1 + passer
– Big pressure on hands over. Angled body to cover middle channel and dictate opponent towards sideline. Have a presence!
– Eyes on both the passer and the imaginary opponent when ‘tracking’ them into the backspace.
– Passer calling “go” is the cue for the defender to react to their opponent’s change of direction, and attack the ball to intercept.
– Very quick recovery to hands over after passing ball back.
– On lob intercept, aim to sprint back to get right under the ball and elevate to pull it in with two hands, rather than leaping early and trying to catch it with one hand.
– On ‘throw and go’, get some width in the court first, creating an angle on the final drive.