Do you get your team to do position-specific drills as part of your game day warm-up? Here’s a very simple goaling exercise we often use in our warm-ups to get goalers moving their feet, holding on the body and working for front position.
– For this drill you need your three goalers working together in a group, rotating roles.
– Work three passes per shot. The goaler must go to the defender, find their body and hold for each pass.
– Look for good goaling basics – getting their foot outside of the defender’s foot to seal off the space, maintaining their hold until the ball is above them, and ripping the ball in with two hands.
– Ask the defending player to be physical and to try to take front position away from the working goaler, so that the goaler has to move their feet to maintain a strong position.
– Complete a set number of reps per goaler (ie 5-6 sets of three passes + a successful shot).