– Players are to reposition based on where the ball is, aiming to have a slightly front/side stance on their opponent, while also keeping their eyes up to maintain vision of the ball.
– The throwers may pass the ball into the attacking players at any time, and the defenders should aim to deflect or intercept those passes.
– For younger/less experienced players, this basic defensive movement will be enough. However for players ready to progress the skill, you can include these progressions:
– Once the players are competent moving around the body quickly, they should look for opportunities to intercept balls thrown to the passer that is closest to them. If they’re unsuccessful with their intercept attempt, they must try to recover as quickly as possible to prevent the pass from going to their PROGRESSION 2
– If they’ve overcommitted in their intercept attempt and haven’t been able to get the ball, their two defensive teammates should attempt to come off their own opponents and cover the pass to the intercepting player’s opponent.